Thursday, April 15, 2010

Entrance Reflective Essay

One of my competencies is that I can understand the English language; and I guess that is the most basic weapon as well as a shield when dealing with reading and writing in English. Another is that I was able to learn a lot from my teachers since I started schooling. They were able to help me build a strong foundation.

People who are already competent in English also have their own areas of improvement. I would admit that I still have alot to improve in my English competence like my grammar. Grammar, I think, is the most important ingredient in writing because it comprises the ideas of the writer. If the grammar of the writer is wrong, then there is a tendency for the readers to not understand his writings. Another aspect I want to improve on is the translation of some Filipino terms. Sometimes, I can hardly translate a Filipino word to English. When I write, I first think of a word in Filipino then translate it in English. So sometimes, I consume a lot of time thinking about the translations. In reading, I need to improve my vocabulary so that I would know the right pronunciation of a difficult/unfamiliar word. The biggest area of improvement for me is focus because I am vulnerable to distractions. I will have to wait for several minutes to regain my concentration.

I expect that our ENGLCOM class would be fun yet effective and efficient. I may also gain friends during ENGLCOM. I also expect that I would learn things that are beyond my understandings. Personally, ENGLCOM could be a great help in developing my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment